Saturday, April 11, 2020
In 2010, I started using the desktop blogging platform, Thingamablog. I loved the idea that the entire database for my blog (this blog) was located on my personal computer, at the time- the 2008 Macbook.
In that, when I develop new software applications, I also write about the new tools, having a blogging platform on the same system as the software development environment, makes it easier to screen grab and post about the new tools in real time.
This worked for years, however earlier this year, new frontiers with SSL protocols left me in a lurch, in that my older Macbook and the Java JDK could no longer handle the newer security rules. I needed new hardware to handle the latest releases of the Java JDK.
I went with a Windows 10 Pro Mini that was easy to afford on the heels of the holidays.
So lately, I have been in software development mode and posting to my personal blog about new programs. Not because I develop software on the Windows XP system where my personal blog is maintained (also a Thingamablog), but more because that platform is always "on".
Long story, short-- earlier today, I decided to move this blog (Remix) to
the new Windows 10 Pro Mini.
First, I had to export the posts from Macbook version to an XML file, and then import the XML file to the new blog on the Windows 10 Pro Mini.
There were several problems with this process, however in my opinion, all minor in nature.
- For each post imported, the author (Q...) was not automatically inserted, however if I copy the contents of each post file to the corresponding entry while in edit mode, the modification process updates the author field.
- The second issue, the Macbook posts were not sequentially numbered, while the Windows 10 Pro Mini Thingamablog software imported the entries sequentially. This will not hurt too much in that the old blog entries are still in place, and though I do link to my own posts, can easily search on the original files and make quick changes. This I have started, however the task is not complete.
- I also had to manually reset all of my custom tags, however this simply meant cutting and pasting the same tags from the old to the new blog.
I have to admit, moving a Thingamablog was something I worried about. Happy to report this was a lot easier than I thought it would be.