Thursday, March 13, 2014
As you are aware, over the years I have developed a myriad of Web 2.0 tools and widgets for use on WiredPages. Over the last two years several tools have become inoperable because the resources I used to power the tools no longer work the way they did when I wrote the individual interfaces.
The reasons I do not update code in this time period-- are well documented. Legal issues with Washington are unresolved and the security of my working code would be at risk. Many of the repairs were easy because I have all of my old source code and I have already researched ways to correct the problems.
That said, over the weekend I received notification from my qisoftware.com web hosting provider that the IP address for my domain would be changing. I thought there would be a problem, in that I include a security feature in most of programs that disables the program if it is not being served up from one of my sites [hosting-q.com and qisoftware.com] via the respective IP addresses that were assigned when I originally wrote the code.
Yesterday, most of the widgets went dead. They are not really dead, they simply will provide a "not authorized" message insofar as usage because the IP address changed for qisoftware.com.
The IP change has also affected the Amazon Widget I developed for the It's Personal Blog. All versions of the Blogger Calendar remain operational.
At this time, I have no plans to make the necessary minor updates to the underlying source code for the programs to make the tools operational again. It is more related to security issues.
This note, simply to explain the issues involved. There is also a blog post [dated March 9th, 2014-- I try not to link to Q's Wire in that someday I hope to remove that personal blog from qisoftware.com] on Q's Wire that discusses the IP change and what would most likely happen.